Update: Attorney General Jeff Sessions announces DACA program is being rescinded… “the previous adminstration disrespected the legal process”
BREAKING: Attorney General Jeff Sessions announces DACA program is being rescinded https://t.co/Ju9kxsuXZm
— NBC News (@NBCNews) September 5, 2017
“To have a lawful system of immigration that serves the national interest, we cannot admit everyone who would like to come here.
That is an open we cannot admit everyone who would like to come here. That is an open border policy and the American people have rightly rejected it.
Therefore, the nation must set and enforce a limit on how many immigrants we admit each year and that means all can not be accepted.
This does not mean they are bad people or that our nation disrespects or demeans them in any way. It means we are properly enforcing our laws as Congress has passed them.”
- *SESSIONS: DACA PROGRAM WILL BE WOUND DOWN IN ORDERLY FASHION
- *SESSIONS: CONGRESS WILL HAVE WINDOW TO ACT ON DACA IF IT WANTS
Responses have already started. Some supportive of the decision:
- *RYAN SAYS OBAMA DREAMER PROGRAM WAS `CLEAR ABUSE’ OF AUTHORITY
- *RYAN SAYS HOPES TO FIND `PERMANENT’ SOLUTION FOR DREAMERS
Others not so much…
AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka made the following statement on today’s announcement that the Trump administration will terminate the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program:
President Donald Trump’s move to terminate DACA and strip work authorization away from 800,000 productive members of our society is cruel and wrong.
Ending DACA will increase the pool of vulnerable workers in our country and embolden employers to retaliate against working men and women who dare to organize on the job or speak out against abusive working conditions. This indefensible act will make our workplaces less fair and less safe and will undermine our freedom to join together and fight to raise wages and standards.
This direct attack on union members and union values only strengthens our resolve to overcome racial divisions and demand changes to a system rigged to benefit the wealthiest and corporations. The eyes of history are upon us. The labor movement will stand with these brave young workers and fight for legislation so that the contributions they make are celebrated, rather than assaulted. We will push for a pathway to citizenship and continue to oppose enforcement policies that discriminate and generate fear in our workplaces and communities.
We will not give up the struggle until all working people have rights on the job, regardless of where they were born.
* * *
As we detailed earlier, with the fate of reportedly 100s of 1000s of DREAMers lieing in the balance, Attorney General Jeff Sessions is set to hold a briefing related to Deferreed Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program this morning.
According to Axios, Sessions will announce the Trump administration is ending DACA, the Obama-era program to shield some illegal immigrants, who arrived in the U.S. as children, from deportation. In an accompanying press release, the Department of Homeland Security’s Acting Secretary, Elaine Duke, will say that no people currently on DACA “will be impacted before March 5, 2018, nearly six months from now, so Congress can have time to deliver on appropriate legislative solutions.” “However,” says Duke, “I want to be clear that no new initial requests or associated applications filed after today will be acted on.”
Sessions will not be taking questions following the briefing, so we will just have to wait for a tweet from the president for any color.
Of course, all eyes wil be on President Obama’s Facebook page as he is expected to be ‘triggered’ by what is likely to be the end of the Obama-era program that grants work permits to illegal immigrants who arrived in this country illegally with their lawbreaking parents or guardians.
Obama’s current plan is to post a statement on Facebook and link to it on Twitter, where the former president has more than 94 million followers. In his final presidential press availability, he suggested that he would speak out if Trump went after the Dreamers — and that it was one of the few issues where he would feel morally compelled to do so. He said he would not remain silent in the face of “efforts to round up kids who have grown up here and for all practical purposes are American kids, and send them someplace else, when they love this country.”
President Trump campaigned on ending DACA so his base is counting on him keeping this campaign promise.
Axios obtained the DHS press release and revealed its details as per below:
- According to the DHS release, “yesterday, Attorney General Sessions sent a letter to Acting Secretary Duke articulating his legal determination that DACA ‘was effectuated by the previous administration through executive action, without proper statutory authority and with no established end-date, after Congress’ repeated rejection of proposed legislation that would have accomplished a similar result. Such an open-ended circumvention of immigration laws was an unconstitutional exercise of authority by the Executive Branch.’
- “The letter further stated that because DACA ‘has the same legal and constitutional defects that the courts recognized as to DAPA, it is likely that potentially imminent litigation would yield similar results with respect to DACA.’
- “Nevertheless, in light of the administrative complexities associated with ending the program, he recommended that the Department wind down the program in an efficient and orderly fashion, and his office has reviewed the terms on which the Department will do so.
- “Based on guidance from Attorney General Sessions, and the likely result of potentially imminent litigation, Acting Secretary Elaine Duke today issued a memo formally rescinding the June 15, 2012 memorandum that created DACA, and initiating an orderly wind down of the program.”
Live Feed (due to start at 11amET)…
The post AG Sessions Confirms DACA Program Is Being Rescinded, Obama Administration “Disrespected Legal Process” appeared first on crude-oil.news.
The post AG Sessions Confirms DACA Program Is Being Rescinded, Obama Administration “Disrespected Legal Process” appeared first on aroundworld24.com.